[time-nuts] temperature stability basics

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Fri Nov 26 23:46:19 UTC 2010

Hi

The gold color in a space thermal blanket is from - gold. The normal formula is to use gold leaf and tissue paper (not quite the Kleenex variety, but similar) in layers. The gold leaf is *very* good for IR reflection. The tissue paper is porous  enough that there's very little air trapped in it. The real insulation is the vacuum (courtesy of mother nature). The gold leaf and the spacer material just take care of the IR part of the equation without adding a lot of conductivity.

Bob