[time-nuts] ok, newbie questions

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sat Nov 27 00:58:55 UTC 2010

Hi

A stand alone OCXO is good for telling you that where you are today is close to where you were yesterday. It's pretty much useless for telling you weather either of those places are the correct place to be. The GPS gizmo will do a  pretty good job of telling you that where you are is indeed where you want to be.

In the HP units the switching power supplies are inside the unit. With the TBolt,  the internal regulation is all linear. In many cases people run switchers external to the TBolt. Regardless of where they are switchers can create crud.

Both the HP and the TBolt have CPU's in with the OCXO. In both cases there are indeed fun little RF things that the CPU can / will create. The same is true of your PC and likely a few dozen other things floating around your shack.

The phase noise on both the TBolt and the HP's are very similar. If anything the TBolt has a slight edge over the HP. In both cases a properly designed microwave reference chain will have most of it's phase noise coming from sources other than the 10 MHz source. That makes it pretty much a toss up between the two units as far as noise is concerned.

Bob