[time-nuts] Help identifying oscillator

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Nov 28 10:49:19 UTC 2010

On 11/28/2010 09:42 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message<75891FAD-425D-4081-999A-3864A6057209 at standingwave.org>, Peter Loron
>   writes:
>
>> Hello folks. I have a box of oscillators that I'm trying to get the
>> datasheet for. Google and the CTS website haven't been helpful.
>>
>> Most interestingly, this thing has 5 pins. The label on the box says the
>> customer was Agilent.
>>
>> Any ideas? Thanks.
>
> The frequency sounds like something that could be related to SONET
> communications...

Doesn't match up very well... 42,192 MHz doesn't have suitably even
numbers to any of the rates. Factorisation gives

42192 kHz = 2^4 * 3^2 * 293 kHz

The SDH/SONET rate of 155,52 Mb/s breaks up as

155520 kHz = 2^7 * 3^5 * 5 kHz

Other SDH/SONET clocks is /3, /8, *4, *16, *64, *256 variants of the
above, and sometimes for internal use other sub-divisions. The /8
variant is often seen as 19,44 MHz.

I can't come up with a suitable PDH rate either.

We are looking for a system where 293 turns up, and SDH/SONET isn't it.

Cheers,
Magnus - does SDH/SONET clocking for a living