[time-nuts] Dead Thunderbolt Explored - Any Chance of Resurrection?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Nov 28 20:13:24 UTC 2010

> 1.  Is it likely that the FPGA is the culprit or just the victim of another
> failure?

It could be getting hot trying to drive some signals while some other chip is
driving it in the other direction.

You might poke around and see if you can find any signals that aren't at a
clean high or low.

Or look for signals that are shorted to Gnd or Vcc.  Maybe add a few mA of
load and see if they shift a bit.

> 2.  What is the likelihood of repair?

My guess would be low, but what do you have to lose if you feel like trying
something?