[time-nuts] If there a FAQ

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Mon Nov 29 06:56:57 UTC 2010

Chris,

If you are familiar with vacuum tube stuff, I have a basket-case
Beckman 905 WWV receiver that you can have for shipping. The radio
was discarded because the 6AQ5 coupling capacitor got leaky and
caused smoke to be released from the power transformer, which is
otherwise OK. It was then sprayed with a fire extinguisher, which
ruined the speaker but didn't get past the front panel.

The 905 is a five channel crystal controlled dual conversion
receiver. Information is available on the web. It's in a basket
because I never got around to repairing it, after taking it apart.

Actually, if you have a good communication receiver, you have all
you need to set a 10 MHz crystal to 1E-8, if the adjustment has any
stability. That's a ten second beat rate. Then you need to filter
out the temperature variations, or fool around with NPO caps to
compensate for temperature variations.

Well maybe 1E-7, which is normal for WWV over the Rockies (sky-
wave).

Bill Hawkins