[time-nuts] Anyone using Silicon Forrest's LPRO-GPSDO?

David McClain dbm at refined-audiometrics.com
Mon Nov 29 18:05:11 UTC 2010

I have an LPRO-GPSDO from Silicon Forrest. I just got a Trimble Tbolt
to check against the Rb clock. As far as I can tell, by this
comparison, watching beats of 3rd harmonics of the two clocks on a
radio in AM-detection mode to keep receiver instabilities out of the
equation, the Rb clock is within spec, showing about 50-80e-12 while
disconnected from GPS, after first having been trained on GPS for 48+
hours.

Trouble is... the idiot-light on the LPRO just doesn't make any
sense, as per what the manual states. While disconnected from GPS the
unit will variously show solid green -- locked to GPS with < 5e-11,
flashing green with <1e-10, and red-green flashing (not toggling)
with < 1e-8 (??). My measurements show a pretty good stability -
better than Tbolt by at least a factor of 3-10.

Until I got the Tbolt, I had no idea what the LPRO was doing, nor
where it was. The light indicators were so at odds with the manual,
and the unit wouldn't maintain GPS lock for more than an hour at a
time, that the guy at Silicon Forrest thought I might have an
unstable LPRO and he sent another LPRO to try. The second unit was
even worse -- worse in the sense that it would never indicate lock to
GPS with the antenna connected.

This first LPRO does achieve lock to GPS, but seems only able to hold
(as per solid green light) for around 1 hour before entering red-
green toggling, all the while being connected to the GPS antenna. The
only way to exit that red-green alternation state is to disconnect
the GPS antenna for a few minutes, allow the unit to realize it has
been disconnected as it signals flashing red/green, and then
reconnecting the GPS antenna. Within a few minutes it becomes solid
green again for another hour. Repeat ad infinitum...

So... I strongly suspect that the manual is completely incorrect. My
LPRO sometimes drifts into solid green while the GPS antenna isn't
even connected. How in the world could the unit know it is <5e-11
when GPS isn't even connected? Or else, the little circuit plugged
into the LPRO pins is whacked...

Does anyone else have this unit? and if so how has your experience
with it been?

In my original total ignorance on this subject, I thought that by
buying the LPRO-GPSDO I would have a plug-and-play solution. How
little I knew... Now I wish I just had a plain vanilla Rb with a BNC
on the front. I'd rather live without GPSDO on the Rb and just track
its performance over time. For that reason I just ordered a Stanford
PRS10 so that I could do PPS time tagging to keep a watch on the Rb.

Dr. David McClain
Chief Technical Officer
Refined Audiometrics Laboratory
4391 N. Camino Ferreo