[time-nuts] Pulsars (was: 60 KHz Receiver)

Reeves Paul Paul.Reeves at uk.thalesgroup.com
Tue Oct 5 07:33:40 UTC 2010

Receiving setup - pretty standard amateur eme/radio astromony  kit, good
antenna, LNA, downconverter. Antenna choice depends on frequency, pulsars
are broadband but generally 300 MHz to as many GHz as you can build an LNA.
Amateur attempts seem to be 406, ~600, ~1400MHz. 3m dish minimum or
equivalent yagi arrays (better at lf end). Bandwidth of a few 10s of KHZ or
more - there are trade-offs due to dispersion, high frequencies travel
faster than the low ones so the pulse form is 'spread' but signal levels are
higher at the lower frequencies. De-dispersion can be done in dsp but
probably not real time unless you have lots of cpu power. Best pulsars for
timing would seem to be be the millisecond ones but these are seriously
faint. For getting the signal out of the noise a gated sampling approach is
used locked to the repetition rate and divided down (so a system can be
theoretically used for any pulsar) and driven from a Rb source or better
(the pros use H-masers). There are lists of these things - try CSIRO in
Australia, they have a good on-line database. The Japanese have looked at
pulsars as a replacement for national standards but not sure of the results.
They are (naturally...) slowing down but should be good for a while yet ;-)

regards,
Paul Reeves       G8GJA