[time-nuts] 60 KHz Receiver

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Oct 5 22:32:49 UTC 2010

On 10/05/2010 03:17 PM, J. Forster wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> The bandwidth of anything close to a Loran signal is a *lot* wider than
>> any of the ham bands contemplated below 1 MHz.
>>
>> There's the minor issue of getting the power company to put in a cable to
>> the house for your 1 Mw (capital M not lower case M) transmitter.
>
> I was not contemplating a global navigation system. Just enough to get a
> LORAN type timing, not navigation, lock over a few hundred mile radius.

However, consider that a few of these transmitters if wisely used could
be kept running by guys like us on electricity bills we could handle and
provide a grid network. This way the navigation aspect could be embedded
into the system and propagation delay be cancelled. Fixed location could
then be used to provide multiple observations of time-indication.

A particular aspect of spread spectrum is that we could have several
transmitters on the same center frequency which has the benefit that
equipment delays become common mode to a first degree. This is a benefit
of GPS over GLONASS.

Multiple carrier systems provide means for frequency diversity as well
as dispersion observations.

There is many options to consider for such a system.

Cheers,
Magnus