[time-nuts] Spread Spectrum LF Time Code (Was: 60 KHz Receiver)

Oz-in-DFW lists at ozindfw.net
Tue Oct 5 22:53:13 UTC 2010

On 10/5/2010 5:14 PM, WB6BNQ wrote:
> Poul,
>
> Please explain to me how spread spectrum would enhance any process of frequency or
> time recovery ?
I can see a lot of reasons, but it's an answer requiring lots of
thought.  I'm not certain that it'd be an advantage.  Some things that
come to mind are:

   1. non-gaussian interferers would be reduced by the spread processing
      gain. (Yay!)
   2. With a long enough code you can discriminate against multipath
      (skywave.) as well as Loran - really limiting diurnal shift.
   3. With a high chip rate you can potentially get really fine time
      resolution.
   4. Most of the processing goes right to bits - Moore's law becomes
      our buddy.

mailto:oz at ozindfw.net
Oz
POB 93167