[time-nuts] 60 KHz Receiver

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 02:44:39 UTC 2010

Actually building a loran recvr is not that hard if its only purpose is
timing/frequency. I lived in Michigan at the time and used the great lakes
chain. You only had to pick the strongest single station. So essentially a
simple front end and filters a bit like wwvb but much broader band. No
special xtal filters. There was a professor Ralph Burhans (Deceased now)
from Ohio State that published several very good articles. The hardest part
was building an all cmos GRI chain and then sampling detector.....
amplification and such for locking the xtal oscillator. It worked really
well compared to the back then very weak wwvb signal in Mi.
I used that rcvr in Mi and CT. for 10-15 years. Then about 2000 there was a
loran is dead scare and the austron 2100s showed up at Hamfests. I hit the
jackpot 2 of them for $50. Both worked and mint condition.
Well needless to say the old home brew went away.

Liked the austrons so well, stumbled into a 2000c 5years ago and got it
cooking. Now thats a real loran timing recvr. Lots of fiddling to make it
work. Not for the faint of heart. The 2100s are essentially several button
pushes and you are in business.

With the end of loran c hated to trash them so designed the very simple few
common ICs like 3 or 4 loran c simulator (design is free and on the net Index
of /simloran <http://n4iqt.com/simloran/>) to at least allow all of them to
act as very nice phase comparators.
Regards
Paul.