[time-nuts] Febo.com SSL certificate expired

Oz-in-DFW lists at ozindfw.net
Mon Oct 18 12:37:41 UTC 2010

On 10/18/2010 6:54 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> On 10/18/10 03:21 AM, Oz-in-DFW wrote:
>>     I used these guys for $9:
>>
>> http://www.cheapssls.com/comodo-ssl-certificates/positivessl.html
>>
>> It was worth it to not have to walk people through accepting a
>> self-signed cert.
>
> But the more people that fork out, the less common self-signed
> certificates become, so the more the inclination of people to shell
> out for these things.
>
> Not only that, but it's $9 this year, and more next year. Each year
> you have to mess around with the certificate.
>
> In contrast Micky Mouse can be persuaded to sign one for 10 years
> (perhaps even longer) for $0.00.
>
> Dave
I understand all of this and ran with a self-signed cert for several
years. The fact is that several of my customers needed support to make
this work, and more than one of their IT departments don't allow self
signed certs.  It's a tradeoff like so many other things.

mailto:oz at ozindfw.net
Oz
POB 93167
Southlake, TX 76092 (Near DFW Airport)