[time-nuts] WWVB 60 kHz Loop Antenna Progress

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Oct 19 21:54:47 UTC 2010

In message <4CBDE533.9080101 at att.net>, Brooke Clarke writes:
>Hi:
>
>I've been winding a number of loops for WWVB and have one that looks
>good on test equipment.

You should do a test where you warm the rod+windings in your hand,
I found the center frequency would drift significantly with even
minor temperature changes.

It would of course not be unreasonable to temperature compensate a
ferrite rod antenna, but I have been wondering if it would be
possible to build a SDR receiver for 60kHz (or 77.5kHz) where the
CPU autotunes the high-Q antenna based on the detected signal, but
have not gotten the necessary round tuit.