[time-nuts] Maintaining boatanchors (was Capacitor Failures)

David C. Partridge david.partridge at perdrix.co.uk
Sat Oct 23 09:18:13 UTC 2010

What I do is to remove the EPROMS, take images of them to disk and then re-burn them. If they aren't socketed, I add turned pin sockets after removing them.

The ones that worry me aren't so much the EPROMS, but the programmable MCUs with on board memory that are no longer available, and are one time burn parts and are also no longer obtainable.  I also worry about the later generation stuff that has a "security bit" that means you cannot actually read them.

Cheers,
David Partridge