[time-nuts] Maintaining boatanchors (was Capacitor Failures)

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Sat Oct 23 13:01:28 UTC 2010

Hi Magnus,

I keep an old Toshiba 1963 486 based laptop in good working condition
to allow me to run my old ADVIN U84 DOS based programmer.  I check it
out from time-to-time.

I can't do much about the mask rom'd parts, though I don't think they
have any higher of a failure rate than any other IC.  The eprom based
controllers, can be a worry, but I can program most of them from the
1980's on... assuming they aren't protected.

There are a myriad of open source format converters available... things
that convert S to intel hex, etc... I seem to recall even writing some
of them...but that is a foggy memory by now.

I find my violins' EPROMS are very stable, and last centuries.

-Chuck Harris