[time-nuts] I have a new toy

Arthur Dent golgarfrincham at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 25 01:13:33 UTC 2010

I picked up an interesting item on Ebay that I think will

be useful. It is a direct digital synthesizer where the

leftmost knob changes the 4 MSDs from 4,998 , 4,999 ,

5,000 , 5,001 , to 5,002 and the other nine knobs are

decades with the LSD being a .000001Hz step. There is also

a toggle switch on back to double the output to 10MHz but

then the "decades" will go from 0 to 2.0 in .2 steps making

the calculation of the output frequency a little tedious.

Obviously you have to use an external standard to get the

ultimate accuracy but there is a "crude" internal 10811

oscillator that can be used for a quick check. I got it

for less than some people are selling the HP 10811 for on

Ebay so I think it was a good deal. I've never seen one of

these units before. It was made about 1987 but looks like new.

I do love new toys. ;-)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1354/5112059771_18197ae84d_b.jpg

-Arthur