[time-nuts] HP5345A "modified front end" (p/o HP5390A)

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Mon Oct 25 01:48:05 UTC 2010

I've encountered an HP5345A (prefix 2040A) that was apparently
originally part of an HP5390A frequency stability analyzer (prefix
2036A).  It has a factory label (No. 05345-80023) indicating that it
has a "modified front end."  I have not seen anything in the 5345A or
5390A documentation to suggest what might have been changed in the
front end.  Does anyone here know?

So far, the 5345A appears to work normally, but I have not
characterized its sensitivity or triggering performance.  The 10811
oscillator does seem to be a cut above the others I have in terms of
stability -- I don't know if this was intentional or accidental.

Thank you,

Charles