[time-nuts] HP 5370B Output Help Needed

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Thu Oct 28 05:18:24 UTC 2010

To run two 5370Bs at once, you could drive the START inputs of the two counters with the 1-pps outputs from your GPIB clocks, and drive each STOP input with the opposing clock's 10 MHz output.  With the counters running in their default (+TI) mode you should see the 0-100 ns phase difference between each clock on the display.

Getting at the data is a bit complicated, unfortunately, because the only "turnkey" timing/ADEV application I'm aware of (mine) will not let you perform more than one simultaneous GPIB acquisition, even if you install multiple copies of the program.  You would need two separate Windows PCs; two cheap/used laptops would work.  Someone else may have a favorite solution in mind for this problem.

Worst-case, I can tell you how to install two copies of a separate GPIB package, and use them to spool the counter readings to two separate files that can then be monitored by the timing app.  It will be rather hackish, but it can be made to work.

-- john, KE5FX