[time-nuts] My latest Net4501 NTP Server

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 04:58:23 UTC 2010

Hi Jason,

Nice work.  Clean install of the hardware, wish mine was as neat:

http://www.nerdhouse.org/projects/timeserver/

I have a ghost image for my CF card there with FreeBSD 7 (I think).  A
little old since I haven't looked at it in over a year, but it's there for
anybody to take to get a jump start.

I noticed my net4501 was a little flaky if plugged into the wall outlet.
The thing would lock up sometimes after 10 minutes, sometimes after 10
days.   It was much more stable if plugged into a UPS that I assume filtered
the output.

My GPS board is one I custom designed for another project.  Two serial
ports, one for NMEA and the other for Trimble's proprietary binary format.
This is a Trimble Lassen IQ module with two output ports on it.

Your motherboard looks just like mine but is missing a lot of parts.  Looks
like you have only one ethernet port vs 3 on mine, one transciever chip vs 3
on mine (I assume these are ethernet transciever chips), no card slot on the
right, etc.   Is this a standard offering from Soekris?

-Bob, N3XKB