[time-nuts] A little quick advice, please

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Sun Oct 31 19:25:22 UTC 2010

Two comments:

I have a lot of Tek 7xxx stuff and almost none of it cost anything like
$0.50 on the dollar. Virtually everything cost well under $0.10 /dollar.

Also, 7xxx and 4xx stuff uses mostly standard components and technology
(no SMTs). This means if it breaks (rarely in my experience) it can be
repaired, so the warranty issue is moot.

FWIW,

-John

==============

> Like hammers, every tool has it's place and if you only have one
> hammer, everything looks like a 10penny nail.
>
> As a guy with an unfortunate affliction to test equipment, (as do many
> of you, I'm sure) I've got a 7000 series analog scope which I love, a
> tek 2236 portable, a DS602 digital, and a parallel port PC based
> digital. Each has it's place.
>
> Nothing beats the Tek 7000 series for flexibility and bang for your
> buck. From simple, low speed time bases and vertical amplifiers,
> through the various digital plugins such as counters and logic
> analyzers, the spectrum analyzer plugins, through the very high speed
> time bases and plug ins. The joy is that it allows you to start with
> something that works for your early needs and a wide range of upgrade
> paths. Plugins are plentiful and relatively inexpensive. Between a
> large box of plug ins and the mainframe itself, I think I might have
> $500 invested. The spectrum analyzer was another $400.
>
> The DSA602 was an impulse purchase that I think I probably could have
> lived without. The 1Ghz bandwidth plugins are not easily found, but
> the FFT function is very handy. My biggest complaint is that it takes
> too long to boot up! Again, an inexpensive option for a scope, good
> into the ghz range for a few hundred dollars.
>
> The older PC based scopes are just too slow for most of what I do
> anymore, though they are handy logic analyzers if you only need a few
> channels. For many channels, an Tek 1240 or 1241 is tough to beat.
> Less than $100, $50 if you search for up to 32 channels just makes
> doing that job simple.
>
> Your worries about warrantee are quite valid. But if I can get a used
> scope or bit of test equipment for less than $0.50 on the dollar of a
> new one, it's a pretty good bargain for home use. If it is for work,
> whole different story. That's where the 2236 came in. I was making a
> living on the road doing field service. It couldn't break or I'd be in
> deep sneakers. So it arrived new in a box. Of course that was many
> many moons ago.
>

> Bob
> KI2L
>

> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Robert Darlington
> <rdarlington at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> My $200 Tek 7854 mainframe with the 7S11/7T11 combo take my old scope up
>> high enough to look at 13-14GHz repetitive signals.  I don't think it
>> can
>> take a screen shot or do much if any analysis with these plugins though
>> but
>> they're still handy for a lot of things.  I love the digital storage
>> analog
>> scopes of the 80s but the modern digital scopes have their place too.
>>
>> -Bob
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Alan Melia
>> <alan.melia at btinternet.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Sampling scopes will display repetative signals above the sampling
>>> frequency
>>> if the repetition rate of the signals and sampling rate are not
>>> related....there were GHz bandwidth scopes in the 60s using this
>>> method.
>>> Not
>>> a lot of good on single shot though. PC scopes are quite good for
>>> repetative
>>> slow signal and single shot within their sampling rate. i have a Pico
>>> Tech
>>> 50Ms/s which works well with a simple old laptop.....it requires a