[time-nuts] homebrew H maser

Oz-in-DFW lists at ozindfw.net
Wed Sep 1 19:28:52 UTC 2010

On 9/1/2010 12:18 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> My guess is that you put the adjuster entirely inside the vacuum enclosure.
> Pump the gizmo down, stabilize it, measure where it's at. Do some math, pop
> it open move the adjuster x.xx turns. Step and repeat. Possibly have a fine
> and a coarse mechanical adjust screw.
How about getting really evil.  Why not just deform the cavity for
coarse adjustment and rely on elastic deformation for fine?
> It's a one time only sort of thing. You can afford to do it the hard way.
or the dirty evil way  ;-)
> Another option would be to allow the screws to come through the envelope and
> leak a little bit during the adjust process. Once you were done with
> adjustment, seal them up with a low out gassing epoxy.
Given the quality of vacuum the manual seems to imply, I'm guessing this
wont cut it.   I'll bet that even low impurity Teflon has a long bakeout
period.
> My guess is that
> would be a problem thermally. If you need 0.001C gradients, you can't have
> more than one thermal path to the cavity.
>
> That's all getting complicated, and we're only talking about the easy to
> understand and address stuff...
>
> My understanding is that the guys at Kvarz spent years poking at their
> design in the secret back room before it worked as well as it does today.
I've been told that this is business is still highly empirical, so that
tracks.
> Bob
Oz (in DFW - Rich Osman)

mailto:oz at ozindfw.net