[time-nuts] Fwd: Re: homebrew H maser

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Thu Sep 2 01:27:19 UTC 2010

Apples and oranges.

What Robert presumably means is tha the working fluid (He) in the closed
cycle refrigerator used in a cryopump has to be extrremely pure to avoid
freezing up in the expansion engine at the cold side.

As I said before, the H2 probably does not have to be Research Grade,
because the H2 is admitted to the MASER system via a "Palladium Valve".
Such a valve is, in fact, a solid Palladium plug that is heated. H2
diffuses through Palladium at high temperatures, but virtually not at all
at room temperature. The flow rate through the "valve" is adjusted by
adjusting the temperature.

Palladium is also used to purify H2, as other gasses do not diffuse
through it significantly.

-John