[time-nuts] Maser manual

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Sep 2 06:28:09 UTC 2010

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 22:37:36 -0700
jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> J. Forster wrote:
> > If you decide to go the zinc/acid route (a very bad idea, IMO) you will
> > need a compressor. I'd not want anything to do with that! I like living.
> >
> > A Lecture Bottle is the way to go.
>

> Why would you compress it.. I imagine that you need micrograms of H2..
> (it *is* almost a vacuum, right?)..
>
> And yes, zinc/acid probably is a bad way... How about electrolysis of
> distilled water.  (I know you're not going to think that sodium/H2O is a
> good approach, eh?)

In one of the papers i've read (which i'm currently unable to find),
they used a electrolysis of KOH with a purifier. I don't know about
KOH but NaOH is quite easy to get in large quantities. The only prob
with it might be to keep it from taking too much water in.

> (on the other hand a lecture bottle is cheap and easy.. but this *is*
> time-nuts, where sometimes we like advocating the "hard way"... so what
> about some exotic nuclear reaction that throws off protons...I hesitate
> to suggest fissioning He, if it's even possible...)

Single protons wont do it. The hyperfine line a H maser taps into is
comes from the difference of the orientation of spins between the proton
and its electron. And if i got it correctyl, you also have to make sure
that the atom isn't excited in any way. Which isn't exactly easy if you
start with a single proton and let it recombine with an electron.

				Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?