[time-nuts] Maser manual

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Thu Sep 2 17:09:38 UTC 2010

> On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 22:37:36 -0700
> jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> J. Forster wrote:
>> > If you decide to go the zinc/acid route (a very bad idea, IMO) you
>> will
>> > need a compressor. I'd not want anything to do with that! I like
>> living.
>> >
>> > A Lecture Bottle is the way to go.
>>

>> Why would you compress it.. I imagine that you need micrograms of H2..
>> (it *is* almost a vacuum, right?)..

You need a pressure differential across the Palladium plug used to control
the H2 flow into the MASER. At a first glance the 1 Atm seems too low, but
might be enough if you heat the Palladium hot enough. It's an engineering
tradeoff and I've not done the analysis.

Comment: When contemplating something like making a MASER, you want to buy
things off the shelf, if at all possible. I'd buy a Lecture Bottle of H2
and a regulator for $100 or so and move on to the next step. It's not an
exercise in building a working unit on a desert island from sand and
coconut shells.