[time-nuts] Freestanding mast

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 22:29:27 UTC 2010

On 8 September 2010 01:38, jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> You could easily have a displacement of a meter or more..
>
> The  (M7+) Landers earthquake here in Southern California a few years back
> had a lateral displacement of 10 meters or so and vertical displacements of
> a meter.
>
> If there's any soil subsidence, that would also account for a lot
>
> http://all-geo.org/highlyallochthonous/2010/09/tectonics-of-the-m7-earthquake-near-christchurch-new-zealand/

The paragraph that says "The most striking feature of this map is the
section of the Alpine fault in the central South Island that has not
ruptured in the last couple of centuries – which suggests there might
be a fair amount of strain belt up waiting to be released." is quite a
worry for us as they predict we are well due for a significant
movement of the Alpine fault and it will be a major event.

Maybe it's time to move :)

Steve

> has a nifty picture: the classic aerial shot of a hedgerow/treeline with
> obvious displacement (about halfway down the page)
> "New Zealand geologists have already identified a 13km fault trace with 3-4
> m of right lateral, strike-slip offset, and variable vertical movement of up
> to 1 m. "
>

> Also there was this in a page linked from the above:
> Deformation
>
> Portable GPS instruments are planned to be deployed on September 6 (Monday)
> to re-occupy GPS 40 - 50 sites in the region looking for changes. GNS
> scientists will be joined by colleagues from Land Information New Zealand
> (LINZ).
>
> A preliminary estimate of the McQueen's Valley (MQZG) co-seismic
> displacement is 135 mm at about 300 degrees azimuth. This permanent receiver
> is located on Banks Peninsula. This result is consistent with a magnitude
> 7.1 earthquake on a vertical strike-slip fault at the location where the
> geologists have found surface rupture, but it is only one point and it would
> be consistent with many other scenarios as well. We can expect displacements
> of 200+ mm at a number of the temporary GPS stations we are planning to
> visit, and there is one station in particular that may be within a few
> kilometres of the surface rupture and thus have a much higher displacement.
>

>> It wouldn't surprise me if they adjust the height of MSL but I would
>> have thought they would have moved it the other way in an attempt to
>> forestall fears of the effects of Global Warming.
>>
>> Regards from Quake City,
>> Steve

Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.
- Einstein