[time-nuts] Timing Distribution in Mountainous Terrain

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Thu Sep 9 19:16:20 UTC 2010

  On 9/9/2010 11:57 AM, Ralph Smith wrote:
> You're making the mistake of applying logic. ;) Actually, aircraft can
> continue to fly VFR or navigate using VOR/DME and inertial navigation.
> The radios are part of an ADS-B installation.
Yes, and they can make routine position reports and ATC can apply
time-based sequencing for IFR traffic... see all sorts of past solutions
to this problem.

VFR aircraft don't need anyone to know where they are anyway, and IFR
only need it if they're being provided radar (or equivalent) separation
services.

Things would work just fine after a period of adjustment, and during
that period of adjustment the planes that need this kind of position
determination would be grounded.

I run GPS-disciplined oscillators at mountaintop radio sites *and* am a
pilot, so this thread is particularly interesting to me.

Matthew Kaufman