[time-nuts] Cycling of Peltier junction

Jerome Peters jpeters at nvidia.com
Thu Sep 9 19:41:52 UTC 2010

Does anybody know about using the same Peltier junction for both heating and cooling?
I'm concerned about thermal/mechanical shock when changing the polarity back-n-forth between hot and cold.  Maybe there needs to be a controlled ramp, if so then how do I figure out the rate?

Why:
I'm in the process of building a small environmental chamber for my home lab. The volume is ~30 liter, target temp range of 0C to 60C.  For the cooling side I am using water circulation (radiator, pump, reservoir & water block) and Peltier junctions.  At first I was planning to have two separate systems, one for heating and one for cooling, but then I got to thinking that using just the water and Peltier could be used for both.  I will be using a PID for temp control, and two TEC1-12726 Peltier Qcmax(w)= ~240 △T =0j

Regards,
Jerome