[time-nuts] Timing Distribution in Mountainous Terrain

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Fri Sep 10 13:25:29 UTC 2010

Hi

Satellites appear to be out. Best case, pulsars would be a once a day thing. You would need a bit better than 30 ns on the transfer (10?) to get the system to perform.

To put an order of magnitude on the difficulty:

I believe that 20 ns is in the same range as the error national standards labs hold relative to UTC.

http://tf.nist.gov/pubs/bulletin/nistusnoarchive2009.htm

That's with a lot more effort than any rational system is going to put into timing. Also that's with GPS available to allow precision time transfer.

Bob