[time-nuts] Timing Distribution in Mountainous Terrain

Oz-in-DFW lists at ozindfw.net
Fri Sep 10 17:20:49 UTC 2010

On 9/10/2010 7:26 AM, Ralph Smith wrote:
> On Sep 10, 2010, at 7:50 AM, J. L. Trantham wrote:
>
>> Loran was used as an area navigation method in aviation for many years.  It
>> was available nation wide with a number of chains.  I had assumed that the
>> area of interest was the Rocky's but if the Appalachians, even better.
> The site currently under consideration is in Colorado. Only problem with Loran, of course, is that is has been killed, thus the operative word "was" above. If the design and approach bears out it could be deployed over a much wider scale.
>
> Ralph
Even if LORAN was alive it wouldn't meet the requirement.  You'd still
have 20-30 M position uncertainty in a differental application - way
more than your 30 ns.   I thiink that dropping LORAN was a really big
mistake, but it wouldn't meet this need.   I used to see several 100 ns
of time drift and jitter when I was in San Antonio and watching Boise
City, OK (~600 Mi)

mailto:oz at ozindfw.net
Oz
POB 93167