[time-nuts] Homebrew WWVB TX simulator?

Bob Clements time&nut* at clements.org
Tue Sep 14 21:10:28 UTC 2010

Has anyone built / seen / bought a small simulator for WWVB?

I live near Boston, and the WWVB signal is pretty marginal around
here.  MSF on the same frequency isn't that far away, and local
noise is pretty fierce.  So now and then one of my WWVB listeners
(like my generally nice Junghans wristwatch) gets screwed up.
The firmware writers aren't very cautious, and there's no parity
bit in the code.

So I have the itch to build a micro-power WWVB to set stuff with,
without having to wait overnight for one or more nights.

Before I dive into such a project, has anyone done/seen such
a thing that I could buy or copy?

I've got a WWV/WWVH simulator that I wrote (and announced) back
when they were about to replace the Audichron drum machines, and
I can start from there if necessary.  The hardware part seems
a bit more interesting, but for this purpose I don't need to
derive the carrier from a GPSDO or my ancient Rb oscilator.

Tnx,
/Rcc
Bob Clements, K1BC