[time-nuts] Homebrew WWVB simulator

Murray Greenman Murray.Greenman at rakon.com
Tue Sep 14 22:36:46 UTC 2010

I designed and built a similar thing a while back, which emulated the
full VNG time code (which could be decoded by 'Radio Clock' and other
clock software).

My unit was GPS locked, using two microcontrollers, but it wouldn't need
to be that complex for setting clocks/watches. It generated all the
required ticks and time code pulses as various audio tones using a
direct digital synthesizer which operated in an interrupt in the micro
firmware.

The WWVB code would be fairly straight-forward to implement, even
including the phase advance, if you generate the 60kHz directly using
DDS within the micro. I might look into that as a future project.

My 'VNG in a Box' design is at www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/MICRO/VNGBOX/

Regards,
Murray ZL1BPU