[time-nuts] OT: xtal osc PN

francesco messineo francesco.messineo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 07:48:39 UTC 2010

Hello all,

sorry for the OT, but the electronic expertise of the group is too good :-)

I'm looking for ideas and directions (articles and so on) to realize
very good phase noise xtal oscillator, in the range 20-50 MHz for high
performance frequency conversion. I would like to understand what
circuits can be realized (not requiring too much professional and
modern equipment, test eq. from the 70s-80s is ok) and what is the
contribution of the active oscillator device, the xtal itself and the
following buffers.
Another idea that came on my mind was using digital oscillator (square
wave, cmos) and then filtering for sine output, if this makes sense
for a low PN point of view.
Is there any way to measure the close-in PN of oscillators with an
amateur setup?

Thanks in advance

Frank IZ8DWF