[time-nuts] [qs1r] Looking for good, cheap, external reference

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Wed Sep 22 08:34:06 UTC 2010

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in doing some ionospheric research, but I don't
> want to break
> the bank with an $8,000 USD GPS disciplined Rubidium clock.
>
> Anyone have some ideas on cheaper alternatives?

Suggest getting one of these, or another one like it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180419218430

There are several cheaper ones for sale but make sure you get the 3.00
firmware and Trimble-labelled OCXO if possible, as they are better
performers than the older ones.  E.g., avoid item 290308733659 as it's not
doing well in either the phase noise or ADEV departments, going by the
photos he's posted.

-- john, KE5FX