[time-nuts] antennas

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 28 17:42:14 UTC 2010

Read through the comments at the start of the file heather.cpp

There is an option for Heather to control the temperature of the Tbolt.  This is most easily done by enclosing it in a box and using a small fan to pump ambient air into the box.  Heather has a nice PID controller (that Warren Sarkison developed and I wrote) that pulse width modulates the fan (using the serial port modem control signals).  I get millidegree temperature stability if the air conditioning is not running,  and around 20 millidegrees with it running.  Long term average temperature can be in the micro-degree area...

Your control temperature should be somewhere between max ambient temperature,  and max self-heating temperature in the box.  You do have to play around a bit with the fan position,  baffling,  and thermal mass in the box to get the best performance.  There is a K A keyboard command to (somewhat) auto-tune the PID control parameters.