[time-nuts] HP 3586A/B/C entirely referenced to 10MHz: A solution II

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Fri Apr 1 04:34:55 UTC 2011

Perrier wrote:

>Turn the crystals 90 degrees so they are perpendicular to the PC
>board.  Make a simple TL431 temperature regulated circuit (I found
>it on the web by a google search) with a bit of copper and
>insulation.  A small supplemental adjustable tuning capacitor and/or
>varicap circuit may be needed.  It will probably get one as close as
>the original programmed mod IMHO.

I very much doubt that the stability of the existing crystals in a
homemade oven would come within two orders of magnitude of a divider
referenced to a GPSDO.  Not to mention that for the oven to work
properly, it would have to hold the crystals significantly above
ambient temperature, which would presumably be rather far from their
optimum tempco point.

Best regards,

Charles