[time-nuts] HP 3586A/B/C entirely referenced to 10MHz: A solution II

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 13:32:04 UTC 2011

Good comments.
But here is the reality. I find soldering smt stuff difficult. But do-able.
I do not have microscopes etc. Tools, 25 watt iron with to big of a tip and
to large of a solder diameter.
Did create nasty solder bridges that I figured out a trick. Simply heat the
two legs and take a steel straight pin and run between the legs. Clears the
bridge nicely. But Bert and others suggested a different approach that I
will try tonight.

Writing the program is the easier part ( Bert's done it already). There has
to be several versions. HP built 5-7 different 3586s series that are really
internally different and no magical way for the software to know what box
its in. After that it truly is a small number of wires. By the way in the C
code Bert has all of the frequency combinations for the different models.
Again no way to sense what box its in. Nope I do not really know C, but I
can read.

But the real secret of all of this is collaboration. Bert and I both
contributed to the design, troubleshooting etc. I learned a heck of a lot
from Bert in the process. Thats what its about for me at least, sharing
learning and trying to apply.

Sorry to say I can't get into the kit/board building business.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL