[time-nuts] T.I. experimenting - newbie question

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Apr 3 10:40:10 UTC 2011

> If I understand you correctly, then I did not have things setup
> symetrically. Now I have a tee on each of the A and B inputs. The unused
> port on the B tee has a 50 Ohm terminator. Is this what you mean?

Symmetry makes it easier to see what is going on.  If you use a Tee on the B
input, then the timing from the center of the Tee on the A input to the
internal logic should match the same setup on the B port.  That lets you
focus on what is between the two Tees.

> With the above setup, using the shortest cable I have gives me 1.5 ns.
> Adding the longer cable to the shorter, using a F-F BNC coupler gives me 21
> ns, for a difference of 19.5 ns.

Adding the barrel complicates things.  What is the delay through the barrel?
 (My guess would be about an inch at 50% of c, so that's ballpark of 0.2 ns.)

If you swap the short cable for a longer one, then the only difference is the
change in length.