[time-nuts] T.I. experimenting - newbie question

Joseph Gray jgray at zianet.com
Tue Apr 5 04:08:23 UTC 2011

I'm keeping the "newbie question" in the subject for those who wish to
ignore this thread. To those who respond, your contribution to the
diminution of my ignorance is appreciated :-)

I had borrowed two different 5328A counters. I just compared them,
using the exact same coax, connectors and settings. Both units were
warmed up for over one hour.

In my previous readings, I was averaging for 1 s and rounding to one
decimal place. The following readings are averaged for 10 s and
rounded to two decimal places. This seemed like a good place to round,
as the readings were stable enough to this point.

Old 5328A (slide power switch):
+ + = 19.43 ns
- - = 19.49 ns

Newer 5328A (toggle power switch):
+ + = 18.92 ns
- - = 19.41 ns

The A and B inputs on the old unit match much more closely. If I
average the readings of each unit, there is more than 200 ps
difference between the old and new unit. How do I know which one is
correct?

Joe Gray
W5JG