[time-nuts] Portable standard

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Wed Apr 6 11:54:39 UTC 2011

Sorry to confuse. Pulse was the wrong word. What I was trying to say is
that during the charge mode the charge controller does interrupt the charge
process to check battery voltage. Since English is my third language please
forgive me.
Bert Kehren

In a message dated 4/6/2011 7:04:36 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
phk at phk.freebsd.dk writes:

In  message <1c9ce.62e32c26.3acda07c at aol.com>, EWKehren at aol.com  writes:

>Today most electronic charge circuits use pulse mode  [...]

Really ?

The only place I see "pulse mode" chargers for  SLA batteries is in
the automobile snakeoil market, where d00des  appearantly think it
will make their speakers louder...

For Li+  batteries in tiny gadgets, like mobiles, pulse mode charging
is used to  reduce the size and heat from the charge regulator, but
it does nothing  good for the battery.

A good temperature compensating switchmode  charger is the way to go.

Poul-Henning

PS: Source of good papers  about batteries in backup applications:

http://www.battcon.com/ArchivePapers.htm

--
Poul-Henning  Kamp       | UNIX since Zilog Zeus  3.20
phk at FreeBSD.ORG         | TCP/IP since RFC  956