[time-nuts] Portable standard

Greg Broburg semiflex at comcast.net
Wed Apr 6 17:25:56 UTC 2011

 From what I have learned from people much
smarter than me, the one to buy is the PRS10
from Stanford Research. They were going for
under 200 a few years ago but are now up at
500 or more. From what I understand this item
is worth that money.

I own Efratom FRS-Ns which I paid 1000 each
for 15 years ago.

The bulbs do not burn out, there is no filament
in them. The bulbs are a glass container which
live inside of an RF excitation coil. If the unit
stops working it is generally not a failed bulb
On mine there was a resistor (10k) which
changed to 5k and stopped it. This resistor is
a known problem, same resistor failure in
many if not all units after a few thousand hours
of operation.

I have been party to repairing 10 FRK rubes.
In these units the tantalum bypass capacitors
are all suspect, some of them go shorted. We
replaced all of these caps and retuned them
and they are all up and running now.

I have been bidding for an EPS

Here is a quote from a few years ago from Corby
Dawson.