[time-nuts] Oncore battery backup

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 17:11:42 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:00 AM, Joseph Gray <jgray at zianet.com> wrote:
> Recently, the local area had an extended power outage. I have the
> Z3801A on a UPS, but the outage lasted over an hour and the UPS
> didn't. I have the information about adding a battery to the Oncore to
> allow for faster startup. Is it safe to use a supercap instead of a
> battery?

I have an Oncore too.  I added a coin size battery salvaged from an
old PC.  It is easy enough to do there is a header pin just for that
purpose.  The Motorola user manual says the battery woks better
because it lasts longer but that was written ten years ago.   If you
use a cap you will want to add a resistor in series to limit current.

The Onore looses the almanac and all settings if there is no battery.
There is zero non-volatile memory in the device.

--
=====
Chris Albertson