[time-nuts] Oncore battery backup

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Apr 6 20:06:11 UTC 2011

paulswedb at gmail.com said:
> The chargers on the small UPS's 70-100 watt class are not really set up to
> do a good job on a much larger battery set.

What's the problem and/or what do the larger units do differently?

Several/many years ago, I got a UPS when somebody on this list (I think)
pointed out that the APC units would tell you the line voltage.  Mostly, I
wanted something to run a PC that monitors line voltage if/when it went out
so that worked out nicely.

I looked at the charts and did some quick calculations.  The smaller units
don't have many watt-hours.  I ended up getting a big unit in order to get
hours rather than minutes of holdover.