[time-nuts] Oncore battery backup

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 20:43:41 UTC 2011

I remember reading in one of the docs I have for the Oncore that
Motorolla recommended a battery over a cap mainly for practical
reasons.  But now all I can find is some basic specs for what you need
to conect to pin-1 on the header

BATTERY (Externally applied backup power)
Voltage:   2.5 V to 5.25 V
Current:   5 μA typical @ 2.5 V
           100 μA typical @ 5.0 V

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Joseph Gray <jgray at zianet.com> wrote:
> Yes, a UPS isn't the most efficient method of running the GPSDO. It
> was an expedient until the day I run it on batteries.
>
> As for backing up the Oncore, power outages are not the only reason. I
> may need to power down the GPSDO to add mods or other reasons may
> arise. Having the almanac stored will help.
>
> I would still like to know if using a supercap is ok. They are made
> for memory backup, so why couldn't I use one for the Oncore? I have a
> few different values on hand.
>
> Joe Gray
> W5JG

=====