[time-nuts] HP 3586 entirely referenced to 10MHz...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Fri Apr 8 19:43:10 UTC 2011

I forget to comment on trimming the existing crystal's
frequencies:  There is no adjustment provided in the 3586B for
netting the crystals.  We tried adding adjustment capability, but
since the crystal frequency is divided down by a fair amount it would
take more adjustment than the actual crystals were happy with. I
believe it would take a complete redesign of the crystal
oscillators.  At the time we felt it wasn't worth the effort,
especially when measuring the I.F. was so simple and very accurate.

Burt, K6OQK

>Subject: [time-nuts] HP 3586 entirely referenced to 10MHz...
>

>Perry,
>
>Marv W6OQI and Stu K6YAZ and I looked at ways to either stabilize the
>Product Detector's L.O or devise a scheme to derive the necessary
>L.O. frequencies from the reference.  Short of creating a monster of
>a science project, there's no simple way to get there.  Stu made a
>comment that there's nothing sacred about the 1850 Hz tone.  You
>could change the L.O. to produce any tone within the systems (audio)
>bandpass and have it work - as long as you know what the offset is
>that results from the "new" tone and apply that to your
>calculations.  If that's all you wanted to use the receiver for that
>would be ok.

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services
Glendale, California  U.S.A.