[time-nuts] cheap 5V OCXO in 14DIP has about 1E-9 drift per day

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sun Apr 10 01:43:04 UTC 2011

Hal Murray wrote:
> bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz said:
>
>> The 16MHz is necessary for the loop to function: The mixer mixes down the
>> 26MHz to a pair of conjugate frequencies, 10MHz  and 16MHz. Thermal and
>> device noise is sufficient to start the process.
>>

>> 10MHz = 26MHz - 16MHz
>> 16MHz = 26MHz - 10MHz
>>
> What makes it stable at 10 and 16 MHz rather than 10.000001 and 15.999999?
>
> I'm assuming we are starting with a good 26 MHz crystal and that it would be hard to get filters that good.

Asynchronous modes such as 10.000001MHz plus 15.999999 MHz can be
problematic if the loop delay is too high.
http://www.femto-st.fr/~rubiola/pdf-articles/journal/1992im%28rubiola%29regenerative-divider-noise.pdf
<http://www.femto-st.fr/%7Erubiola/pdf-articles/journal/1992im%28rubiola%29regenerative-divider-noise.pdf>

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login.jsp?url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fiel5%2F26%2F23863%2F01093262.pdf%3Farnumber%3D1093262&authDecision=-203
<http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login.jsp?url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fiel5%2F26%2F23863%2F01093262.pdf%3Farnumber%3D1093262&authDecision=-203>