[time-nuts] 2201A GPS

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 11 13:43:57 UTC 2011

On 4/11/11 5:58 AM, paul swed wrote:
> Wow thats a multiplier chain. The IF is reasonable and would easily be
> accomplished in 1 to 2 chips today. Though 2 would be good so you can add
> filtering and improve isolation.
That's not all that exotic.  In some systems, you don't want PLLs
because they may not always lock (e.g. over wide temperature ranges, or
where a part is particularly sensitive to radiation: hyperabrupt
varactors, for instance).   A multiplier almost always works.  The trade
is often that the multiplier chain might consume more power than a
single PLL, although I've seen some remarkably low power multiplier
chains, and at higher frequencies, the dividers in the PLL start to
consume a lot of power.