[time-nuts] GPS position averaging software?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 18:27:20 UTC 2011

The Motorola software ("Winoncore",  Google will find it at
www.synergy-gps.com) has a feature that plots position average,
actually two "averages" it give s a running "mean" and a running
"least squares" and plots both on Lat Long.  My Oncore GPS is
connected to a LInux based server but I run the Win XP software in
VMware.  There is also tac32 but it seem to be slightly less
sophisticated than the free software Motorola supplied with the GPS
units.

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Mark Sims <holrum at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Why Lady Heather, of course!  Requires a Thunderbolt.
>
> Use the S)urvey P)recision command.  You can specify the number of hours to run for (default is 48).   During the survey all the fixes are written to the file LLA.LLA  and plotted on the screen (each hour in a different color).  It does some pseudo sophisto statisto mumbo jumbo on the fixes and comes up with a pretty good guess where you are and saves that as your location.   You can also read in a .LLA file and it will plot the fixes,  or you can process them with your own software.  You can stop a survey early if you want (I don't rememeber if it saves the position if you do that)
>
> I have tested lots of different antennas and the differences can be rather significant.  My best survey grade choke ring comes in within less than a foot.   Crappy patch antennas can be off over 10 feet.
>
> If you just have to use the M12 receiver,  you could format the fixes into a .LLA file and then read it with Lady Heather.  You can start the program with the /0 option to disable its attempt to use a serial port to talk to a thunderbolt.  Also note that the program does not buffer the fixes... if you redraw the screen, etc,  the plot goes away.  And you can't zoom the LLA plot to full screen.

=====
Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California