[time-nuts] Selecting a used HP sweep/frequency generator

Gary Chatters gcarlistaa at garychatters.com
Fri Apr 15 02:07:49 UTC 2011

On 04/14/2011 02:03 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message<BANLkTi=UPy4x2WumN9rPAW-VreU4yW3kMw at mail.gmail.com>, Bob Bownes wri
> tes:
>
>> The candidates at present are the 3324 and 3325.
>
> Don't overlook the 3336.

The 3336 would meet the OPs requirements.  Frequency coverage 10Hz to
21MHz with phase continuous sweep.  AM and PM available.

The 3336 is sort of a companion to the 3586 selective level meter.
There are A/B/C versions with similar variations in input configuration.
The 3336 can be linked to the 3586 with an HPIB cable and track the
frequency (the manual says, I have not tried it yet).

The 3336 is not a function generator.  Only sine wave output.  It has an
input for 10MHz reference.

The 3314A is a function generator and in some ways more versatile than
the 3336.  Sine, square and triangle outputs as well as burst (specify
number of cycles in each burst).  And only half the size of the 3336.

It does not have the precision setting capability of the 3336 (and some
of the others mentioned).

I have never gotten the Easter egg to work with the one I have access
to.  It looks like it is running, but no output.

User manuals for most of these are available on the Agilent web site.

Gary