[time-nuts] LightSquared gets at least some political attention

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Fri Apr 15 17:58:38 UTC 2011

In keeping with its plan to re-purpose MSS spectrum (including the
L-Band MSS spectrum) to include terrestrial uses, the FCC recently
adopted a rule allowing "spectrum manager" leasing arrangements in
the MSS bands (see Report and
Order,
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-11-57A1.pdf).
This will make terrestrial operations all the more common, and is
just one more step in the FCC's march to allowing terrestrial uses of
the spectrum without any pretense of satellite operations.

Interestingly, Paragraph 28 of the Report and Order contains the following:

>>We emphasize that responsibility for protecting services rests not
>>only on new entrants but also on incumbent users themselves [i.e.,
>>in this case, GPS users], who must use receivers that reasonably
>>discriminate against reception of signals outside their allocated
>>spectrum. In the case of GPS, we note that extensive terrestrial
>>operations have been anticipated in the L-band for at least 8 years.

The situation with two other adjacent services, DARS (satellite
radio) and WCS (Wireless Communications Service, one more service to
be used for mobile broadband delivery) is quite similar, although in
that case the interference is expected to be bilateral (DARS
terrestrial repeaters into WCS mobiles, and WCS mobiles into DARS
receivers).  For the moment, the FCC has afforded some protection to
DARS legacy receivers, but it said it expects future DARS receivers
to have better front ends (although it has not said that it would
relax any of the constraints on WCS mobile transmitters when that happens).

Best regards,

Charles