[time-nuts] BNC Question

Oz-in-DFW lists at ozindfw.net
Sat Apr 16 18:23:30 UTC 2011

No Stan, you are correct.

**True** 75 ohm BNCs (and Ns and TNCs as well) use a substantially
smaller center pin and no insulation support around the female contacts.
Mating a 50 ohm spec male part (plug) will invariably damage a 75 ohm
female (receptacle.)

Amphenol made a **proprietary** series that maintained specs to 4 or so
Ghz when mated in the proper system impedance and would reliably
interate without damage. This was not a full spec part, but a
proprietary variant that was a market response to the damage probelms.
They were widely used in broadcast video, and rarely used in RF
applications.

If need be we can pull the mil drawings as a group and compare them.   I
learned this lesson by proxy in the days I worked for a cable TV
manufacturer and a tech made the mistake for a second time and got his
pay docked the repair cost from HP.  Fortunately, the parts cost was
small.  Unfortunately he got to pay for a new cal on the instrument,
about 2 weeks pay for him *before* withholding.

Rich, N1OZ