[time-nuts] BNC Question

shalimr9 at gmail.com shalimr9 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 19:59:30 UTC 2011

As pointed out earlier (by Bruce and others), there is a vast quantity of 75 ohm BNC connectors which mate perfectly with 50 ohm BNC sockets (save for impedance mismatch). I have a set of 10 cables bought off the *bay with such connectors. These cables are 75 ohm, so there will be a mismatch in a 50 ohm system no matter what the connector is.

I am not sure what would make those less *true* that anything else. I am sure the mismatch of the connectors themselves, within the frequency range they are intended for will be well below the level where most would care.

If you try to use BNC for precision RF measurements, be prepared to be surprised.

Unless the argument is about what they "should" be, what the standard says is irrelevant when you have a box of parts and wonder if you can used them.

Don't assume anything, just check before you plug.

Didier KO4BB

Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless thingy while I do other things...